Wednesday, November 20, 2013
30 Days of Holiday Projects with Xyron - Holiday Yard Sign
I'm so super excited to be part of the 30 Days of Holiday Project Ideas with Xyron! Make sure to follow the Xyron Facebook Page all month for awesome inspiration from our design team!
For today's project, I wanted to make some Christmas decor. I have been obsessed with signs lately after walking around a local craft fair and wanted to make my own using some delicious Holiday paper from Studio Calico.
Supplies: Adhesives (Xyron 5" Creative Station, Xyron High Tack Double Sided Tape); Patterned Paper (Studio Calico); Chalkboard Paper (DCWV); Die (Lil' Inker Designs); Letter Stickers (America Crafts Thickers); Stamps (Stampin' Up); Washi Tape (Freckled Fawn); Die Cuts and Stickers (Imaginesce); Foam Board, Fence Post.
You will be shocked at how easy it is to make. And if you don't want to adhere the little signs onto a fence post, just use them individually around the house! Want to make one yourself?? Here's how.
1. Cut Down the Foam Board and Patterned Paper. Cut out three pieces of foam board and holiday patterned paper to 12" x 3".
Craft Tip: Instead of foam board, you could use any strong base like cardboard or even wood.
2. Adhere Patterned Paper to Foam Board. Using the Xyron 5" Creative Station, apply adhesive to the patterned paper. Apply the paper onto the foam board. Using a craft knife, trip the paper as needed to make sure that the the front of the signs are completely covered.
3. Distress Edges. Distress the edges of the sign with some ink to give it an antiqued look. Here, I used Tim Holtz Distress Ink (Antique Photo) applied with a foam applicator.
Craft Tip: Notice the difference that distressing does. The bottom sign is already inked along the edges while the top two are not. This is a trick that I apply to almost all of my paper crafting projects.
4. Embellish the Sign Bases. Using just American Craft Thickers (dimensional letter stickers) and some simple embellishments, create your holiday signs.
For the top sign, I wanted to make a chalkboard Christmas countdown. Cut out a small piece of DCWV Chalkboard Paper with a Lil' Inker Designs Stitched Rectangle die and then adhere onto the patterned paper with the Xyron 5" Creative Station.
And here is a shot of all three signs, ready to be mounted onto the fence post.
5. Cover Fence Post with Washi Tape. I bought this little fence post from Home Depot for 50 cents. Super cheap! I just covered it with Freckled Fawn washi tape to add some extra holiday flair.
6. Adhere Signs onto Fence Post. Finally, I just adhered the signs onto the Fence Post with some Xyron High Tack Double Sided Tape.
Craft Note: If you want them to be more secure, I would suggest using a small nail to adhere the signs onto the wood. But you're using it inside and don't have little ones, I think the double sided tape will work fine.
And here is another look at the finished project! I will note that because it is unsealed paper, I would probably not leave it outside. Even in Hawaii, it rains a lot this time of year. But it would be the perfect sign for placing inside a potted plan indoors. Or just use the signs individually around the house! So many options and so super easy!
Make sure to visit the Xyron Facebook Page all month long (and into December) for daily inspiration!!!
As always, thank you for stopping by!