Thursday, October 10, 2013

Xyron and Doodlebug - Christmas Photo Tray



If you know me, I love all things cute and adorable and I don't think any other manufacturer epitomes that better than Doodelbug Design Inc.  I squealed with delight when I found out that I would be working with their 2013 Christmas collection, Home for the Holidays, for this blog hop with Xyron.  It uses traditional red, white and green (which is my favorite) with the most charming images.

For my project today, I worked with a 7 Gypies Photo Shadowbox Tray that I have been pining over for years.


I finally caved and bought one of Blitsy a few weeks ago and was eager to get it decorated as a home decor piece that I can change out with each month.  Here is what I made...


And here is how I made it...

1.  Select your Photos.  This step is always the most time consuming part of any photo-based project for me.  I decided on which openings I wanted photos, printed them on my photo printer, and then cut them down to fit into the shadowbox openings.


2.  Make Decorated Cards for the Other Panels.  Then, cut down patterned paper and decorate like you would little ATC or Project Life cards.  I focused on the beautiful patterned papers and stickers from the Home for Holidays collection.


For the largest panel, I used various letter stickers with the "Merry Christmas" sticker from this sticker sheet.  I purchase most of my thickers when they are on clearance from TJMaxx or Marshalls.  Often times, the thickers (especially the chipboard ones) aren't very sticky.  I simply run them through my Xyron 1.5" Create-a-Sticker to adhere onto my project.


Tip:  I also use DIY Foam Tape to adhere many of the stickers onto my paper and photo panels to create quick and easy dimension.

3.  Adhere Photo/ Paper Panels to Shadowbox.  To create a shadowbox that could be used throughout the year, I wanted to be able to quickly and easily change out the different photo and paper panels.  To do that, I reached for my Xyron Magnetic Tape.  It's also my magic weapon when making mini albums and other projects that need a small closure.


Finally, I simply covered the front and sides of the shadowbox with the Let it Snow Washi Tape.  The adhesive is just strong enough to stay put through the holidays but light enough that I can pull it off later one without worrying about any damage to the shadowbox itself.

To display, simply place on an easel (or I used a plate stand) and you have created a beautiful home decor piece that can easily be adapted throughout the year!


Supplies:  Doodlebug - Home for the Holidays (Patterned Paper, Stickers, Washi Tape, Flair); Adhesives (Xyron Magnetic Tape, Xyron 1.5" Create-a-Sticker, Xyron Mega Runner, DIY Foam Tape); 7 Gypsies Photo Shadowbox Tray; Letter Stickers (American Crafts, October Afternoon, Basic Grey); Lil' Inker Stitched Rectangle Die.

Here are some closeups.  That photo of my son in the Santa hat was taken by my good friend and fellow Navy Spouse, Melissa Grady (Melissa O Photography).  She's now in Florida so if you need a photographer for anything, she is certainly your girl!


I absolutely adore the flare badges in this collection and they were the perfect embellishment layered with other stickers in the collection placed directly on the frame.



And check out my daughter (home sick from school) insisting that she get photographed with the shadowbox.  Love her (and thankfully she is finally feeling better today after 8 days of fever).


Make sure you head over to the Xyon blog for awesome inspiration all week long featuring Xyron and Doodlebug!

As always, thanks so much for stopping by!

3 comments:

  1. This is wonderful! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your idea to change it out! I always think of those types of projects as permanent! I love seeing your work! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...