Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Xyron - Something Old, Something New - DIY Lamp Shade Tutorial

I love the Xyron Something Old, Something New Challenge.  This time around, we were each assigned an old project from their project gallery as our inspiration to create a "new" project.  I chose this darling embellished lamp shade by fellow design team member Ann Corbiere-Scott.


I was inspired to make my own embellished lamp shade for my son's bedroom and this is what I came up with.  


I really wanted a lamp for my son's room but was reluctant to purchase one for $50 at the baby store.  We have had this lamp lying around the house for years with no real home; it's just tucked between the TV and piano in the living room.  I figured it was the perfect lamp to "steal" and use for my project.  


In addition to Ann's beautiful flower lamp, I was also inspired by this patterned paper from the Pebbles Let Freedom Ring Collection.  


I'm a sucker for banners and the colors matched my son's nursery perfectly.  Making the lamp was SUPER EASY using my Xyron 1.5" Create-a-Sticker and Xyron 2.5" Create-a-Sticker.  

DIY Lamp Shade Tutorial

1.  Tools.  You will need the following tools: (a) Xyron 1.5" Create-a-Sticker, (b) Xyron 2.5" Create-a-Sticker, (c) Fiskars 1.75" Circle Punch, (d) Martha Stewart Scoring Board, (e) We R Memory Keepers Paper Piercer.

2.  Other Supples.  In addition to the tools mentioned above, here are the supplies I used: (i) Pebbles Let Freedom Ring Star Patterned Paper - 1 sheet, (ii) American Crafts 8.5" x 11" Red, Blue and Light Blue Cardstock - 2 sheets each color, (iii) Twinery Red and White Bakers Twine, (iv) undecorated lampshade in a neutral color, (v) color coordinating brads and stickers.



3.  Punch Circles.  Punch out circles from the American Crafts cardstock and a few from the Pebbles patterned paper using the Fiskars circle punch.  Note: the exact number of circles you need will depend on the diameter of your lamp shade.  I punched out circles from about 1.5 sheets of paper and about 6 circles from the patterned paper.


4.  Score the Circles.  Score each circle in half using your scoring board.  This will make assembling the pennants much easier.


5.  Add Adhesive to the Circles.  Run the circles through the Xyron 2.5" Create-a-Sticker to add edge to edge adhesive on the back.


6.  Bend the Circles.  Before removing the circles from the backing sheet, bend them slightly along the score line.  Note: you can actually bend them slightly after removing them from the backing sheet as well.  

 
7.  Assemble the Pennants.  To make your banner, take a scored circle and place it adhesive side up.  Then lay the twine along the scored line.


Take your finger and fold the circle down in half to make a half circle pennant.  Remember to rub the pennant a bit to make sure that the adhesive sticks.  


 Continue until you have filled your twine length with the half circle pennants.


Note:  I used four different lengths of twine for my project about 45" in length each.  

8.  Add Adhesive to the Banner.  To easily add the banner to the lamp shade, run the entire banner through the Xyron 1.5" Create-a-Sticker.



9.  Adhere Banner to Lamp Shade and Embellish.  Finally, simply adhere the banners to the lamp shade and embellish.  Note: for some extra stability, I placed color coordinating brads at the "peaks" of each pennant grouping.  If you choose to do this, keep in mind to place the tails of the brads behind the pennant so that it doesn't cast a shadow when your lamp is lit.  I also added some dimensional stickers from the Pebbles Let Freedom Ring Collection on some of the pennants.


Make sure you visit the Xyron Blog all week for lots of "Something Old, Something New" inspiration from our entire Design Team.

As always, mahalo for stopping by!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...