Monday, August 9, 2010

Sand Castles in San Diego

Even though Monday always makes me feel a little blah, with another fantastic weekend in my back pocket, it's pretty hard to bring my spirits down.

The family had another exciting and jam-packed weekend. On Saturday, we drove down to this nautical junk store near Mission Hills. The place was pretty interesting and I'm sure Justin wanted to buy a ton of stuff there. But thankfully, we walked away empty handed.

Afterward, we stopped by the Old Town Mexican Cafe for a late lunch then walked down to the Old Town San Diego State Historic Park.

Charlotte and Daddy with some street tacos for lunch.

Justin getting some fresh churros.

I haven't been to state park section of Old Town since middle school! The whole thing reminds me a bit of Colonial Williamsburg (but not as nice and much too commercialized). But it's a fun way to spend a few hours.

On Sunday, my little brother (home for two weeks before going back to school) joined us for an outing to Imperial Beach for the U.S. Open Sandcastle Competition.

It was so crowded! Some of the sculptures were very impressive. Here are some of my favorites.

This giant rat was part of the Clark Pest Control entry. Pretty funny.

This was one of my little brother's favorites and I found it especially touching as well.

Since I was born in the year of the rooster, I loved this entry! So cute!

This was one of Justin's favorites - designed to withstand the high tide coming in at 4pm!

Another awesome weekend in San Diego. I really love do love this place!

6 comments:

  1. I heard about this contest on the radio. Neat that you were there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss Mexican food! And the beach. You've got it good, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eva, that's so cool that you heard about the competition on the radio! You should come down next year! And Ms. Heather, can't wait to see you next week!!! You too can have Mexican food and the beach all in the same day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cool! I've never been to one of these! Jeez, what kind of Sandiegan am i????

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man, do I miss the sand castle competition. One of my favorite things about San Diego!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joyce, that was my first time going to the competition! You shoud go next year! So fun! And Vid, you and Molly should move back down south. Miss you two!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...