Sunday, January 15, 2012

2012 will be the year... {a scrapbook layout}

If you're coming over her from the Counterfeit Kit Challenge Blog, welcome!  For Challenge #1, we were asked to make a layout about our goals and resolutions for 2012.  I've never done anything like this.  Most of my layouts are about my daughter or family events.  So it was a challenge in itself to scrapbook (1) myself and (2) something that was forward thinking.  But what better time to do new things than in the new year, right?

So with my trusty January Counterfeit Kit in hand, this is the layout I created.



The design inspiration for this layout was this "Design is..." poster I found from pinterest


I loved how layered all those patterns looked.  It reminded me of a more modern and simple patchwork quilt.  So with that image in my head, I went out to start on my layout.

I started with kraft cardstock as my base and then just started cutting strips and pieces of my patterned paper out.  Once I figured out where to place my paper, I began to machine stitch everything.  This was my first adventure in machine stitching paper.  Although I royally messed up in some places, some purposfully placed pieces of washi tape fixed that all up!


I printed my journaling on a piece of vellum to maintain an overall soft feel to the layout.  However, because the patterned paper behind the vellum was still a bit too bold, I just swirled some white acrylic paint on the back side using my paint dauber.  I used this same tecnique when printing my photo - print on vellum then paint the backside with white acrylic paint.


I decided to call this layout...2012 will be the year I finally find balance.  Instead of making another long list of resolutions which I will inevitably break, I instead want to focus on finding balance in my life - whatever that may be any give month.  We'll see how 2012 goes but I'm super excited. 


And since this layout was about balance, I thought that it was especially appropriate that I made my layout a bit askew.


As always, thanks for stopping by and I hope that 2012 brings joy and happiness to all of you! 

Project 100 Update.  5 down.  95 to go.

14 comments:

  1. Wow - this is a truly beautiful layout! I love the angled aspect and the lovely soft colours. Your stitching looks great too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous page - I'm pinning it to remind me that skew can be stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome! I love it! I really like the angled approach and was only thinking yesterday of making another tilted layout as I love the way it turns out. Your patchwork background and stitching is gorgeous - as are the patterns you mixed up and the title work and journalling are also lovely. I'm also pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a beautiful layout- so many details and layers. Did you say you print photos on vellum? I am intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should totally try it, Aliza! It give a really soft and almost ethereal effect.

      Delete
  5. Absolutely stunning! I think this is my new favorite of yours...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty! I love the idea of you making it askew. The design and color are all great.

    treatment for stretch marks

    ReplyDelete
  7. This awesome!I love the quilted paper and your inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! I love how your brought together all of those gorgeous papers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely...the angled layout idea is great, love the stitched background. Great use of paint too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that you turned your layout on an angle and all of your printed papers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very pretty - I think I saw you entered this at Practical Scrappers too. It's a winner, I'd bet!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry I'm just getting around to comments this month.....Great page, love the title/intro with all the different fonts/stickers. Really nice! And I love your blog name :).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...