Sunday, January 29, 2012

A Love Story at the Hermitage {a scrapbook layout}

One of my favorite stops during our cross-country drive was Andrew Jackson's personal residence, the Hermitage.  The grounds were simply stunning and, while the home itself was relatively modest, it was filled with period furnishings and artifacts original to President Jackson.  Amazing.

Now this is pretty uncommon for me but for this layout I focused my layout on one of the stories we learned about during our visit to the Hermitage.


The inspiration for this layout was this sketch from Practical Scrappers

 

Since the layout was about the garden and Jackson's love for his wife, I wanted to focus on using floral embellishments.  Thankfully, my January Counterfeit Kit had plenty of Sassafras foldies and blooms.


For the title, I used a combination of American Crafts Thickers and Basic Grey alpha stickers.  I also stitched across the actual letters, a technique my amazingly talented and crafty friend, Brenda, frequently does and I always swoon over.  I also wanted to incorporate some memorabilia into the layout so I printed a map of the grounds on vellum and adhered behind the photos.  


I reached for the vellum again to do the journaling.  I wanted it to look like the words were typed right onto the lined background paper.  Since I physically can't print on 12x12 paper, I instead printed the journaling on vellum, cut them into little strips and then adhered it directly onto the paper.  


I also wanted to share a card that I made using my January counterfeit kit.  This is for a dear dear friend who lost his father recently.  



Project 100 Update21 down, 79 to go.

5 comments:

  1. Your use of vellum is fantastic and I love the foldies. I find Sympathy cards hard to get right - yours is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed - sympathy cards are a challenge, but yours is such a nice balance of peacefulness and beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the vellum printies..the map on vellum is superb!
    The card is very nice...always so hard to make a sympathy card...I like the masculine look of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your layout - pinned it. We really enjoyed our visit to the Hermitage too - in fact, I bought some note cards illustrating his wife's garden (Rachel?) and matted and framed them. Nice pattern mixing on that card too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous page - I love layouts that tell a story! I too love stitched letters and vellum journalling - must give it a go myself soon!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...